>Like a baby deer on skates.


Yep, that was me tonight, looking like a klutzy fool.

Let me start by saying that I was already frazzled when I got into the car and realized it was 5 minutes later than I thought it was. Not something I would normally freak out about, but it caught me off guard.

Then I remembered that I had less than a quarter tank of gas. I practice pretty far from my house so this made me nervous, especially since I really didn’t have time to stop and fill up.

Next…..I end up driving way past where I needed to be. I completely missed a turn and just kept going. I had to call Chris in a panic and have him guide me via google maps. I got to my first practice 15 minutes late. ugh.

Turns out a few other people were late too, so I didn’t feel so bad. I turn in my paperwork, pay my dues, get my gear on and head out to do 50 laps. In all honesty I probably did 20 because I was going at a snail’s pace compared to the rest of the girls. Not to mention, I was frazzled as hell, and found it harder to skate than normal. I fell and then realized I forgot to put on my wrist guards. I skated over and asked one of the girls who was near my bag to hand them to me. As I put them on, she informed me they are backward. I blame Chris for this, since I had put them on the proper way in front of him a week ago, and he told me I was wrong.

I could see my hands shaking from nerves and embarrassment as I was trying to correct them. Then I went off again. I fell a few more times, but nothing major.

Then I went with the rest of the Fresh Meat to the Kiddie Pool and we practiced different maneuvers. I’m mediocre at best, except for plow (or is it plough?) stops, then I’m pretty decent actually.

There were two other girls there who have been there a month. They were nice and helpful too. I met a few of the other girls while we were stretching at the end. They were incredibly nice. A few people were quick to mention how bad they sucked at first too. Good to know I’m not the only one.

I got home and showered because every inch of my body was covered in dry sweat. Yuck! It’s hard to believe that in two days I’m doing this again….and then another two after that. I was fun though and I know I’ll continue to get better.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s