Yes, I know, everyone loves Christmas. I live with a Christmas lover….he starts singing carols in July. During the recent freak October snow he’s been humming Winter Wonderland. I’ll be the first to admit I’m a bit Grinch-y, but I’m ok with it.
Here are all the reasons Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday:
1) You get to dress up. I love anything that gives me a reason to dress up. I will do it every year until I’m dead.
2) Pure gluttony. You are expected to eat candy until you are ill. You get to indulge in all those horrible treats you try to avoid the rest of the year.
3) No gifts! There’s no stress over getting gifts for anyone or worrying if you spent enough/too much, or if the person will even like what you got them. All people want is candy and booze (for the grownups) and that’s a beautiful thing.
4) Fright! I love scary stuff, unless you’re talking about real spiders in my home. I love creepy, deranged, evil, spooky stuff.
5) I love the history of it. I love folklore and Celtic/Pagan traditions. One of these years I’ll actually carve some turnips instead of just pumpkins. I love that it signifies the end of the living year and a thinning between worlds. Especially now it very much signifies to me the end of the harvest. There’s a stark contrast at the market now (and in my garden) that reflects this greatly.
6) Its close proximity to another favorite of mine: Dia de los Muertos. Again, on the topic of spirits, I like the notion that your loved ones who have passed can come back again in spirit for just a brief time. Then, the world sleeps until spring.
7) It’s fun. There’s no stress of cooking a big meal, or shopping, or travel. Just whip up a costume and get on with it.
It will always and forever be my favorite. Stay tuned because I’m going to have a whole post on the costume I made this year!